Flood Warning in Prince William County Today
The National Weather Service put out a flood warning for small streams and urban areas in PWC.
Update: The flood warning has been extended until 2:15 p.m. today.
From the PWC Department of Fire & Rescue:
The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning for urban areas and small streams in Prince William County and surrounding areas until 10:15 a.m. Due to heavy rainfall the area has been experiencing localized street flooding and in some incidents causing street closures. Fire and rescue units have responded to numerous flood-related incidents in which motorists have become trapped in their vehicles after attempting to cross flooded roadways. All too often, victims underestimate the power and force of the water which can result in deadly incidents -- the second highest percentage of flood-related deaths.
Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind the community that flooding and the hazards associated with flooding can take place anywhere at anytime especially when large amounts of rainfall is predicted. To protect you and your loved ones should flooding occur, heed the warnings and follow these life-saving tips:
- Get out of areas subject to flooding and seek higher ground
- Avoid underpasses, underground parking garages, and basements during or after heavy rains
Turn Around, Don't Drown (TADD)
- DO NOT attempt to cross flowing streams
- NEVER drive through flooded roadways -- six inches of water can stall a vehicle!
- If your vehicle stalls, get out and move to higher ground
- Two feet of moving water can sweep a vehicle, including SUVs, downstream!
- If walking in water that is above your ankles, stop and turn around – six inches of rushing water can sweep you off your feet!
- At night, be cautious when driving or walking, visibility is poor and it becomes harder to recognize flood dangers
- Children should NEVER play around high water, storm drains, streams, ditches, etc.
- When conditions are dangerous, DO NOT camp or park your vehicle along streams, rivers, etc.