By Patch Staff
With the kids home for the holidays this week, why not get out and keep that holiday spirit going? There are still plenty of holiday event options out there in the DC area:
Want your event included? List it in the comments below.
Lights, Festivals + More
- Bull Run Festival of Lights: Through Jan. 5, just off of Interstate 66 on Route 29 (Lee Highway) in Centreville. The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority says they expect to see more than 30,000 cars drive through the holiday light display before it ends Jan. 5. Find out more here.
- Meadowlark’s Winter Walk of Lights: Through Jan. 5. Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, 9750 Meadowlark Gardens Court, Vienna 22182. Visit Meadowlark’s Winter Walk of Lights to experience over 500,000 LED lights and displays that bring Meadowlark Botanical Gardens to life! Click here for the details.
- "Elf, The Musical." All ages (family-friendly event). Times vary. One of Hollywood's most beloved holiday hits is born again, on stage! "Elf" is the tale of Buddy, an orphan who leaves the North Pole to find his true identity. This modern Christmas classic will make everyone embrace their inner elf. Buy tickets online. $$ Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C.
- ICE! featuring `Twas the Night Before Christmas. All ages (family-friendly event). 1 to 8 p.m.. You'll marvel at colorful, life-size ice sculptures depicting the classic holiday poem. Take a ride down a two-story-tall ice slide. Buy tickets online. $$ Gaylord National Resort, National Harbor, Md.
- National Harbor Light Show. All ages (family-friendly event). Come watch a spectacular show at the 65-foot National Harbor tree every 30 minutes after sunset until 10 p.m.! It is a must-see for the holidays, through Jan. 5! FREE National Harbor, National Harbor, Md.
- Christmas at Mount Vernon. All ages. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., through Jan. 6. Mount Vernon is decking the halls! Themed decorations (including 12 Christmas trees) and historical chocolate-making demonstrations will be offered. The popular tradition continues of opening the rarely seen third floor of the Mansion and inviting visitors to meet the charming "Mrs. Washington." Buy tickets online. $$ Mount Vernon Estate, Mount Vernon.
- Jingle Bell Carriage Rides: through Jan. 3, 706 Caroline St., Fredericksburg. Jingle Bell Rides are available every evening except Monday, through Jan. 3. Reservations for the carriage rides are recommended. $100 - $120, depending on carriage purchased for the evening.
- 27th Annual Gingerbread House Contest and Exhibit at Ferry Farm: Sunday, Dec. 8 - Monday, Dec. 30 at George Washington's Boyhood Home at Ferry Farm, 268 Kings Hwy., Fredericksburg. The 2013 theme is "Moments in U.S. History." The exhibit opens with judging at noon on Dec. 8. It then is open daily 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., except for Dec. 24, 25 and 31. Admission to Ferry Farm plus the exhibit is $8 adults;, $4 students. Admission to the exhibit only is $4 adults, $2 students. Children under six are free.
- Harris Pavilion: Daily thru Jan. 5. Times vary. 9201 Center St., Manassas. In Old Town Manassas, all sessions are open skate, no time limit. $8 adults, $7 for ages 10 and under. $3 skate rental. Season passes available. More info.
- Prince William Ice Center: Two-hour open skate every day. Times vary. 5180 Dale Blvd, Woodbridge. $7 admission, $3 skate rental. More info.
- Ice Skating Pavilion, Reston Town Center: Until March. Times vary. 1818 Discovery Street, Reston. $10 adults, $8 under 12 and older than 55. Skate rental $5. Seasonal passes available. 703.709.6300. 2013-2014 Season - open daily from early November until March the Pavilion floor is transformed into a gleaming ice skating rink. Ice skates and other supplies are available inside the Skate Shop directly beside the Pavilion (behind Clyde's). More info.
- Pentagon Row Ice-Skating: Open now. Details here.
- Washington Harbour Ice Rink: Open now until March from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m., Monday-Thursday, 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday. Adults $10, Children $8, Skate rental $5. Open holidays.